Subject: Re: e-postage again
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 21:57:15 -0700
To: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>, list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 5/19/02 9:19 PM, "JC Dill" <inet-list @
 vo .
 cnchost .
 com> wrote:

> That's actually a HUGE need.  At SpamCon there was a lot of talk about how
> ISPs might setup a customer-reputation clearing house (like a credit
> bureau) where ISPs could report and share information about bad customers

Effectively being a combination RBL at the account level and PK web of
trust?

God, wouldn't that have anti-trust issues? If, say, Earthlink, AOL and MSN
get together on something like this and MSN black-flags a spammer and AOL
refuses to sell him an account, I'll bet that spammer could make a good case
of anti-trust here, even if he DID intend to violate AOLs T&C's. This could
get ugly. But I digress.

> However... there are quite a few known spammers that buy throw-away
> accounts (usually using fraudulent identification when signing up) and move
> from ISP to ISP as they get nuked, and the ISPs are relatively powerless to

And that's the ultimate problem - these databases only work on static data.
If the thing you're trying to police is dynamic (which fraudulent ID data
is, inherently), it's a moving target, and you're a few steps behind the
chase by definition. You're catching stupid people and abandoned Ids.

Which means they'd have to base selling accounts on specific user data like
SSN or perhaps a drivers license, or some other ID (all of which can be
faked, of course), which creates a huge privacy issue into the maelstrom on
top of all of the other stuff...

And we're basically only talking US here. Globally, life gets even more
interesting -- and when it comes to privacy issues, much, much tougher.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui @

Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties
are largely ceremonial.