Subject: Re: Charge?
From: kirk Bailey <idiot1 @ netzero . net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 00:58:40 -0400
To: List Managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . com>

n short, we can't techno fix it, so live with it, is this a accurate
summation of your position?

J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Sun, 19 May 2002 23:14:46 -0400
> kirk Bailey <idiot1 @
 netzero .
 net> wrote:
> > Amy Stinson wrote:
>
> > This last may have some promise. Bandwidth charges for email, with a
> > monthly allowance, would be a step in teh right direction.
>
> Enforced by whom, especially given the fact that it would be a
> significant marketing advantage and value add to sell your
> service/accounts as NOT under those constraints?
>
> > No, it is not. More use should equal more cost.
>
> More use of what?  Of whose resources? That's the basic model and
> fallacy of the micro-payments model.  I already pay for my hosting and
> bandwidth.  I don't pay for yours, and yet I spend your $$ freely (and
> uncontrollably) by sending you IP packets.  The fallacy states that I
> should/must have value accounting for that so that costs can be
> equitably shared.  The problem is that the primary value being spent is
> not system resources or bandwidth (which at that level are so trivial as
> to be uncountable), but human time/effort on the resulting communication
> and the results it engenders.
>
> > A national do not spam email list? Hmmm, I like the flavor, let's do
> > it.  We can set up a site, anyone can go there, place their email on
> > the list, and we let merchants and advertising firms download that
> > list for free, off the web. Anyone want to purchase a domain name for
> > the cause?
>
> Thanks.  You've just helped build my offshore SPAMmer business model.  I
> now have a pre-collected largely pre-verified database of known good
> email addresses.
>
> I would argue that SPAM is inherently and irreducibly unhandleable in
> any central fashion.  It can't be done.  It has to and can only be done
> at the edge.  There are several ways of getting there, all requiring
> significant threshold deployment effects (I rather like broad PKI
> deployment-based systems, but that's for other reasons), but they are
> all quite doable and quite familiar to people who've spent time in that
> space.  The problem is that they all require broad public deployments of
> an edge technology prior to the system being enabled, and well, that's a
> cart and horse problem.
>
> --
> J C Lawrence
> ---------(*)                Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
> claw @
 kanga .

--

end
	    Respectfully,

+---------------------"Thou Art Free." -Eris----------------------+
| http://www.howlermonkey.net mailto:highprimate @
 howlermonkey .
 net |
| http://www.tinylist.org  +--------+  mailto:grumpy @
 tinylist .
 org |

    From: "Amy Stinson" <e-list @ amys-answers . com>
  • Re: Charge?
    From: kirk Bailey <idiot1 @ netzero . net>
  • Re: Charge?
    From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: e-postage again
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Next: Re: large ISPs blocking mailing lists