Subject: Re: spamjinn.com for anti-span tools
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 23:26:20 -0700
To: kim brooks wei <kimi @ kimbwei . com>, <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 5/19/02 11:03 PM, "kim brooks wei" <kimi @
 kimbwei .

You mean like Vulpin's Razor? <http://razor.sourceforge.net/>

>     The database contains three lists: private servers delivering
> spam mail, multi-user servers allowing their servers to be used for
> spam mail and a list of ISPs and web(/mail)hosts that provide public
> service and voluntarily participate in the spamjinn.com DATABASE
> program.

How does this differ from any of the dozen existing black hole databases
that already exist? Why build another one?

>     And naturally, tips to users on how to take steps to eradicate
> spam with links to all the good anti-spam sites that are out there
> today.

You mean, like <http://www.cauce.org/>?

Seems like you're reinventing a bunch of wheels here. All of which already
exist in some form. That's one of the problems with these discussions --
people come in with ideas without knowing what's already been tried and how
it worked, and without researching what others are currently trying/doing.

I don't want to sound mean or negative -- but before people start creating
web sites or run off with great ideas, they really need to spend time
researching what they're trying to do. It's amazing how many times stuff
gets reinvented due to naivete that (gasp) maybe someone else had that idea
before I did. And so little real progress gets made, because the same stuff
gets built, and the same mistakes get made again, instead of leveraging off
what's already there and moving forward, or finding out it's not a workable
idea and saving the energy for some other, more useful idea.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui @

Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't fallen
asleep yet.