From: "Michael S. Johnson" <michj @ nausicaa . net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 00:43:22 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
To: "list-managers @ greatcircle . com" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 18 May 2002, John R Levine wrote:
> Yes, there's a certain amount of spam coming from China and Korea, but
> it's far less than the US stuff and a lot easier to block without
> noticable collateral damage.

John, I beg to differ.  Perhaps you receive fewer Asian spam than US spam,
but in my experience, the opposite is true.  Perhaps because I run a
mailing list and web site on the subject of Japanese animation, Korean and
Chinese spam far outnumbers, by as much as 10:1, the English-language spam
that my listowner addresses receive.  One of my lists has one *.cn and one
*.tw subscriber each, so I can't take the simple approach and filter out
all mail from those two domains, because a message from either of those
subscribers could accidentally be ignored.  If I filter out all of Korea,
I fear that would-be Korean subscribers might be unjustly ignored.

The point I'd like to make is that for some, the spam from Asia is not as
easy to deal with as you suggest.  Please don't assume that a problem you
don't see isn't there.

Amy and others on this list recently mentioned turning the subject line
around: mailing lists blocking large ISPs.  It would be nice if
blacklisting large domains or entire countries would have the effect of
putting pressure on those entities to control the unwelcome behavior of
their members.  I see your point and will have to consider that tactic,
but I look forward to reading more discussion here regarding other
reactions and remedies to spam.