Subject: one person's spam is another's passion (was "Charge?")
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 00:52:03 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Thus wrote Chuq,

| Unfortunately, too often, it boils down to "the stuff I don't want to see",
| which is another reason why draining this swamp is so nasty. Everyone wants
| spam killed -- but nobody agrees on what it is, except in very general ways
| that leave nobody really satisfied.

All the more reason that nobody should presume to decide what mail any other
person wants or doesn't want.  As long as there are email recipients who
are not sysadmins, spam filtering cannot be accomplished satisfactorily
by blanket rules for the whole site.  (I was going to say "nor at the MTA
level," but possibly every user could get a separate subdomain with a dif-
ferent way of contacting the smtpd such that every user could configure the
MTA uniquely for his or her incoming mail.  But perhaps that would require a
separate IP address for each user's smtpd, and that might render it imprac-
ticable.)