Subject: Re: one person's spam is another's passion (was "Charge?")
From: Berg Oswell <berg @ eskimo . com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:40:33 -0700 (PDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

David W. Tamkin wrote:

> All the more reason that nobody should presume to decide what mail any
> other person wants or doesn't want.  As long as there are email
> recipients who are not sysadmins, spam filtering cannot be accomplished
> satisfactorily by blanket rules for the whole site.  (I was going to say
> "nor at the MTA level," but possibly every user could get a separate
> subdomain with a different way of contacting the smtpd such that every
> user could configure the MTA uniquely for his or her incoming mail.  But
> perhaps that would require a separate IP address for each user's smtpd,
> and that might render it impracticable.)

	I agree; Personally, if it's unsolicited, I don't even read it.
Even if someone is sending me extremely well-targeted spam with the deal
of a lifetime, I wouldn't do business with someone who resorts to spam
email.

	IMO, the best test of what email to send is simple...did the
person affirmatively request the mailing?  If not, then it shouldn't be
sent.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: from an engineer