Subject: Re: one person's spam is another's passion (was "Charge?")
From: "Mike Avery" <mavery @ mail . otherwhen . com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:58:57 -0600
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On 23 May 2002 at 12:40, Berg Oswell wrote:
> David W. Tamkin wrote:

> > All the more reason that nobody should presume to decide what mail
> > any other person wants or doesn't want.  As long as there are email
> > recipients who are not sysadmins, spam filtering cannot be
> > accomplished satisfactorily by blanket rules for the whole site.  (I
> > was going to say "nor at the MTA level," but possibly every user
> > could get a separate subdomain with a different way of contacting
> > the smtpd such that every user could configure the MTA uniquely for
> > his or her incoming mail.  But perhaps that would require a separate
> > IP address for each user's smtpd, and that might render it
> > impracticable.)

>  I agree; Personally, if it's unsolicited, I don't even read it.  Even
> if someone is sending me extremely well-targeted spam with the deal of
> a lifetime, I wouldn't do business with someone who resorts to spam
> email.

>  IMO, the best test of what email to send is simple...did the
> person affirmatively request the mailing?  If not, then it shouldn't
> be sent.

That's a pretty tough test.  If I applied it to my
incoming mail, I wouldn't have been able to do my last
job.  I was an editor for a technical magazine.  If I
didn't get notes from people who wanted to become
writers or to write for us, we wouldn't have had new
writers.  If I didn't get notes from vendors I hadn't
dealt with before, we wouldn't have been able to review
any products except those we already knew about.

Actually, I think it's a pretty simplistic test.  I draw
the line at unsolicited mail sent to many people.  If
someone has a reasonable expectation that I will be
interested in a piece of email they want to send to me
as an individual, I am usually willing to receive it.  Even
if I hadn't heard of them before.  I view this as part of
the price I pay for being in the public eye.  You say you
aren't in the public eye?  I beg to differ - you just put
yourself there....

Mike
--
Mike Avery
MAvery @

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Newsflash: Microsoft announces Visual Edlin for
Windows.