Subject: Re: Spamtrap e-mail addresses in spam headers? [was: Omar's
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 00:13:46 -0700
To: "Alan B. Clegg" <alan @ clegg . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, List Managers <List-Managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 22:50:20 -0400
Alan B Clegg <alan @
 clegg .
 com> wrote:

> I'm getting the list posts, just not the cc: that are to me directly.

Yeah, I know, that's why I've not been worried about your whitelist.

> It is my fault for posting a non-dated address, but I'm still not a
> TMDA guru on getting on and off mailing lists with correctly replyable
> (ie, dated) addresses.

Which does raise a fundamental issue:

  I can find little fault or complaint with those that do use various
  forms of ad-hoc plus addressing (such as dated addresses) in order to
  limit their spam or other reasons.  They're doing something entirely
  legal within the RFCs, if breaking of older (and arguably outdated)
  norms and expectations.

The problem is how as list server designers and list owners we are to
adapt to this.  We currently, naively, assume that a subscriber's
address is more or less constant.  Dated addresses and other similar
forms make a mockery of that.

> Spammers have made life hell for everyone that uses e-mail, lists,
> and/or usenet to communicate.

True.

> AlanC {forcing this to a 'bare' address so it will get to the list}

Precisely.

I suspect we'll see registration of base addresses and extension
characters with lists down the road.

--
J C Lawrence
claw @