Subject: Re: Spamtrap e-mail addresses in spam headers? [was: Omar's
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 00:29:48 -0700
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: List Managers <List-Managers @ greatcircle . com>, mailman-developers @ python . com

<Note: Mailman-developers added to distribution list.  I've inserted a
couple notes for context for the Mailman-developers.  When following up,
please trim the distribution list appropriately.  Barry: See the end for
the meat>

Mailman-Developers:  This is a discussion on

On Mon, 01 Jul 2002 19:03:46 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> wrote:
> On 7/1/02 6:53 PM, "J C Lawrence" <claw @
 kanga .
 nu> wrote:

  Context: One of the list-manager's members uses TMDA to filter and
  whitelist personal mail.  This mostly became apparent with messages
  CC'ed to him were all replied to with polite
  please-register-on-my-whitelist messages from TMDA.  Some discussion
  of whitelists and TMDA ensued.

>> That said, among the variants TMDA is rather nice.

> Oh, and to make it clear -- you're welcome to whitelist. But if I
> don't happen to be on your whitelist, and I try to answer something
> you ask, it won't get through, and I won't jump through the hoop to
> make it go through.

Yup.

That lack of automated intelligence was one of the things I looked for
in TMDA.  It would be nice if it saw the message coming in for the list,
noticed that it had the same Message-ID as message on hold and
auto-released the held message.

>> It will read/whitelist Mailman/ezmlm/etc subscriber lists
>> (config.db), and looks innocuous enough that I'm seriously thinking
>> about deploying it here for the -owner and -admin addresses (which
>> get 1 valid message for every 300 SPAM).  Given the extra auth
>> against the subscriber lists it seems a not unreasonable barrier (if
>> unwelcome and I don't like it) to entry for help to a non-list
>> member.

> JC? Why not bounce that htought over to mailman-developers and run it
> past Barry? I think it warrants more discussion over there, and I'm
> sitting up here on vacation, so I really can't right now...

Good idea.  Consider it done.

Recapping, the basic problem is that I get very large volumes of spam on
my list control addresses: -owner, -admin, etc.  I'd like to control
that.  One of the approaches I've been considering is using TMDA, which
can be configured to read config.db's for subscriber lists and thus
auto-whitelist messages from them.  Thus, for instance, all mail to
-owner or -admin from a subscriber would get thru automatically, but any
email from a non list-member would require a
double-confirm/whitelist-approval from TMDA.

Its not a great solution, as it is an extra barrier to entry for help,
but in the general case I don't feel too badly about putting that small
a hill in the way of people I have no current investment or relation
with (ie they're not list members).

In which case: Why not fold this sort of TMDA -admin/-owner address
checking/whitelisting etc functionality into Mailman?

--
J C Lawrence
claw @