Subject: Re: Spamtrap e-mail addresses in spam headers? [was: Omar's
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 09:15:12 -0700
To: List Managers <List-Managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 12:29 AM 7/2/02, J C Lawrence wrote:

>Recapping, the basic problem is that I get very large volumes of spam on
>my list control addresses: -owner, -admin, etc.  I'd like to control
>that.  One of the approaches I've been considering is using TMDA, which
>can be configured to read config.db's for subscriber lists and thus
>auto-whitelist messages from them.  Thus, for instance, all mail to
>-owner or -admin from a subscriber would get thru automatically, but any
>email from a non list-member would require a
>double-confirm/whitelist-approval from TMDA.
>
>Its not a great solution, as it is an extra barrier to entry for help,
>but in the general case I don't feel too badly about putting that small
>a hill in the way of people I have no current investment or relation
>with (ie they're not list members).

This assumes that every list member will email you from their subscribed address. Which I find to be a bad assumption. A high percentage of my list member emails to the -owner and -admin addresses are from alternate addresses, asking how to change their subscription to their new address, or complaining about delivery problems. People change email addresses, have forwards put in by their ISP, and then expect the list admin to help them fix things later on when they can't post, etc.

>In which case: Why not fold this sort of TMDA -admin/-owner address
>checking/whitelisting etc functionality into Mailman?

What I'd really like to see is a function where a subscriber can manage "linked" addresses, being able to add additional "post from" addresses linked to one "membership" and being able to access their membership settings from any of the subscribed addresses.

jc