Subject: Re: Spamtrap e-mail addresses in spam headers? [was: Omar's
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 10:58:10 -0700
To: list-managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On 09:37 AM 7/2/02, Beartooth wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, JC Dill wrote:
>>
>> What I'd really like to see is a function where a subscriber can
>> manage "linked" addresses, being able to add additional "post
>> from" addresses linked to one "membership" and being able to
>> access their membership settings from any of the subscribed
>> addresses.
>
>	I do that now, as a subscriber on two : a mailman list and
>a listserv list. I simply subscribe each of my addresses (actually,
>I had the moderator do it the first time on the mailman one; it's
>an invitation-only list), and set all but one to nomail.

That's a kludge work-around that works for techies (like you and me) but not for the average user. That's why I want "linked" addresses. I also want all addresses to go away when the user unsubscribes.

I have a kludge work-around in place on an old MJ1 list, we have a second list that is zero volume, moderated. This second list exists solely for the purpose of holding names of people who want to post to the first list from alternate addresses. This is a *highly* technical list, and yet I have to remind people regularly to add their alternate email addresses to the second list to be able to post from their alternate addresses. I get 20-30 such bounced posts a month, sometimes as many actual subscriber posts as real "non-member" spam posts.

jc