Subject: Re: Please prune this list!
From: Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 14:43:29 -0400
To: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>
Cc: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>

I'll send this to the list as well as JC because it's an example of a list management gotcha.

When I post a message (like this one), I don't get the bounces that JC does. The reason he gets them is that his Eudora is configured to add the following header to his messages:

vo .
cnchost .
com>

That header is not overridden by the Greatcircle list software - it is preserved. So when his posting reaches the various dead accounts, he gets the errors.

For most other postings, like this one, I assume that the -owner address gets the errors. And yes, it would be nice to prune the dead subs.

Every time I post to list-managers, I get back a ton of bounce messages
like this one:

 >From: MAILER-DAEMON @
research .
att .
com (Mail Delivery System)
 >To: inet-list @
vo .
cnchost .
com

 >This is the Postfix program at host mail-pink.research.att.com.
 ><amcc @
uk .
research .
att .
com>: user has moved to aideen @
ukgateway .
net

This has been going on for months.  Is the list-admin or list-owner
address not getting any of these messages?  If so, why not? (And what
configuration change should be made to fix it?)

jc (8 bounces so far from my last post, and it's just been 2 hours)