Subject: Re: Please prune this list!
From: "Michael C. Berch" <mcb @ greatcircle . com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:46:38 -0700
To: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Cc: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 11:35  AM, JC Dill wrote:
Every time I post to list-managers, I get back a ton of bounce messages like this one:

>From: MAILER-DAEMON @
research .
att .
com (Mail Delivery System)
>To: inet-list @
vo .
cnchost .
com

>This is the Postfix program at host mail-pink.research.att.com.
><amcc @
uk .
research .
att .
com>: user has moved to aideen @
ukgateway .
net

This has been going on for months. Is the list-admin or list-owner address not getting any of these messages?

No, I'm not.   They're going only to the poster.

If so, why not? (And what configuration change should be made to fix it?)

The "why not" is that a recipient's mail server is badly mis-configured, in violation of the Internet RFCs, by bouncing to the message author address, instead of the SMTP envelope address.
This is one of the fundamental rules of server configuration.

It's frustrating to posters, but there's nothing we can do on the list server end of things, because we don't know about it until someone mentions it.

The thing to do is (1) notify the list-owner address by private mail, in which case the address will be removed, and [optional] (2) complain to the postmaster at the offending site, citing the appropriate standard (RFC821 way back in the Old Days, undoubtedly RFC2821 or something like that now).

--
Michael C. Berch
List-Managers list manager