Subject: Re: Please prune this list!
From: Brent Chapman <Brent @ GreatCircle . COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 10:43:18 +1000
To: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>, list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

At 5:25 PM -0700 7/2/02, JC Dill wrote:
<x-flowed>On 11:55 AM 7/2/02, Michael C. Berch wrote:
>On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 11:35  AM, JC Dill wrote:
vo .
cnchost .
com>

>Aha. Didn't notice that until Tom Neff pointed it out.
>
>You will definitely want to remove that from your postings.

1)  I can't remove something I didn't add.  There is no errors-to entry
within my eudora.ini file, so this header is built by the mail client
itself.  I can't find any way to get Eudora to not add it (although, by
making a manual entry in the .ini I can probably specify it to something
else, which wouldn't be any better than letting Eudora specify it).  I've
been using Eudora for 6 years and sent and received many thousands and
thousands of emails in this time, and this is the first time someone has
tried to blame some mailing list behavior complaint I have on my choice of
mail client.

If your client isn't adding it, then perhaps your outbound SMTP relay is? All I know is, the header is already there by the time the message gets to GreatCircle.COM, and we leave it there.

This leads me to:

2)  I'm on literally dozens of lists (technical, hobby, high volume, low
volume, large and small), including lists run on majordomo (1), mailman,
listserv, listmanager, and yahoogroups.  On none of these other lists do I
have the bounce problems I'm encountering on *this* list.

Thus, it's still my belief that this list is improperly configured, not my
mail client.   From this ObList-Manager's perspective, a discussion list
should *always* make itself the reply recipient for bounces of any messages
it receives and then retransmits (to addresses unknown to the original
sender), so that the list manager can address the problem - because ONLY
the list manager can address the problem (remove the stale addresses).

Maybe everybody else in the world is stripping out Errors-To: headers on inbound list postings, or overwriting them with their own, but I doubt it. Maybe most other lists have fewer stale addresses than List-Managers; that's entirely possible, we aren't real aggressive about pruning the list, for lack of time.

As MCB said, we'll see about stripping out Errors-To: headers on inbound postings, as a favor to you and everybody else. But this really _is_ your own problem, either with your client or your relay host. If you don't want weird bounces, you shouldn't be putting Errors-To: headers in your outgoing messages.

-Brent

--
Brent Chapman <brent @
greatcircle .