Subject: Re: Please prune this list!
From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 23:04:37 -0700
To: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Cc: Thomas Gramstad <thomas @ ifi . uio . no>, list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

J C Lawrence wrote:
At the attribution level it is recognisable due to the fact that
unlike base Eudora on a group reply it will attribute to the From:
rather than the inane "you".

That's no longer true for a current product.

Does the current product no longer attribute to "you"?

It does attribute to "you."

I disallow it on my lists and have my SPAM filters set to score it as
noise.  So far as a filter that's worked quite well, especially on the
level of distinguishing "messages I want to read" vs "generic list
noise".

Funny, nearly all of our business mail looks that way, and people get nagged at if they bottom-post on work mail for making people read context before the additions.

I tend to have a different view of top posting and its effect on
conversation, especially for lists.  I find that top posting discourages
thread detail and depth by effectively forbidding the debate or analysis
of finely defined points, that it encourages pomposity and bombast
rather than discourse, that it encourages retort instead of considered
reply, and that it discourages useful thread splits and forks while
encouraging thread dissolution.

I find that most people are not interested in participating in that sort of discussion anyway on anything other than a tightly-focused topic list (of which there are fewer and fewer) of technical substance (whether computer-related or for serious students of some other discipline). That accounts for, oh, about 10% of the lists I'm on and about 1% of the lists we host.