Subject: Re: Please prune this list!
From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 23:53:47 -0700
To: Thomas Gramstad <thomas @ ifi . uio . no>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Thomas Gramstad wrote:
Not at all.  Better to give them safe, stable and simple tools,
and encourage them to learn to use those tools.

But what if, like most, they don't *want* to learn? I can show you about 350 of our 400 list-owners who believe they shouldn't need to learn anything to run a list -- imagine how most people feel about email.

For most people
that implies a good GUI (dropdown menues help too), for example
the MacIntosh platform; or more recently, products like
OpenOffice, StarOffice and KDE.

Those UNIX and Linux UIs may seem good to you, but to most users, they're impenetrable.

Microsoft on the other hand,
offers poor-to-mediocre GUIs, and unsafe, unstable and non-simple
products.

But they *understand* Microsoft UIs, and things like StarOffice and KDE make no sense to them at all.