Subject: Re: Please prune this list!
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 23:56:11 -0700
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>, Thomas Gramstad <thomas @ ifi . uio . no>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Thu, 04 Jul 2002 23:47:44 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> wrote:

> On 7/4/02 11:06 PM, "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @
 queernet .
 org> wrote:

>>> Its one of my more persistent regrets that I didn't configure my
>>> MTAs to auto-bounce all mail with an Outlook X-Mailer line 4 years
>>> ago...  It would have been ineffective of course, but it sure would
>>> feel a whole lot better now.

>> And it's all about how you feel, right?

> And doesn't that sound like the sort of thing the company you're
> slamming would do? So to "beat" them, become them?

Yeah, that was one of the other prime reasons I didn't do it.  At a
rather fundamental I believe in communication systems and the benefits
that accrue simply from increasing ability to communicate rather than
decreasing or limiting communication abilities.  Communication is one of
those things where generically at a human level more is always better.
It makes for a few decisions I'm not terribly fond of, but hey, what
else did I expect?

> I'll stick with the moral high ground, thank you. Educate, evangelize,
> and innovate. You're basically choosing martyrdom to prove a point,
> only it's silly to do such a thing if nobody would ever notice...

<nod>

You may note that I didn't.  That doesn't mean it isn't and wasn't
awfully tempting in retrospect.

> "I'd rather be a live jackal than a dead lion. Of course, I'd rather
> be a live lion".

I'm rather reminded of the old african tale of the nanny goat who
tricked the lion and the jackal.

--
J C Lawrence
claw @