Subject: Re: mail clients, was Please prune this list!
From: Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 11:51:51 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

--On Friday, July 05, 2002 11:36 AM -0400 Bernie Cosell <bernie @
fantasyfarm .
com> wrote:
This isn't the place to engage in a side thread on HTML email, but I'll
just mention that "plain text" email is really the wave of the past.
Almost from the day email was born, a *LOT* of folk didn't like 'plain
text'.  The programmers, who were pretty used to plain text for source-
code, were pretty comfortable with plain text, but few others were and
the quest for something better began almost from the outset.

And I'll just mention that when this subject comes up, we debate it - in PLAIN TEXT - without so much as a second thought.

The truth is that there is a direct correlation between how focused a list or a thread or a group of email conversationalists are on an external topic of interest - ANY topic, even the topic of formatting mail - and how much they could give a s*** about whether what they read and write is in italic bold Algerian pink-on-puce.