Subject: Re: mail clients, was Please prune this list!
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 09:00:41 -0700
To: Bernie Cosell <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>, <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 7/5/02 8:36 AM, "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @
 fantasyfarm .
 com> wrote:

>> Actually, there are many reasons to avoid HTML in E-mail;
>> http://www.efn.no/html-bad.html
>
> This isn't the place to engage in a side thread on HTML email, but I'll
> just mention that "plain text" email is really the wave of the past.

This is another case where the fight is over, and we might as well get used
to it. Whether its good or bad, it's here and endemic.

> Over the decades, there have been a score or more schemes for doing
> better-than-plain-text email, and I will freely admit that HTML is
> without doubt the very worst of the alternatives that I've seen go by.

It has one key advantage -- it's compatible with web pages. So users don't
need to learn a separate set of hacks for e-mail. That's enough to override
the problems it causes.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui @

He doesn't have ulcers, but he's a carrier.