Subject: Re: MUA elitism
From: Bill Gruber <BIGCU @ CUNYVM . CUNY . EDU>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 11:57:59 EDT
To: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 07:20:23AM -0400, Tom Neff wrote:
>It gives list managing a bad name when we are elitist about members' mail
>clients. Yes, Outlook and Outlook Express (which were developed separately
>and joined later by the name, hence their differences) are malware to avoid
>if you can, but many ordinary users don't easily have that choice, and a
>good list administrator focuses on the topic rather than on petty
>geekmanship.

I received the following error notification this morning.  In view of the
current discussion, it's just too funny (and at the same time, too sad)
for me not to pass it along.  This geek who composed it certainly needs
some serious customer relationship training, IMHO.

"Your mail was rejected by the Indigita Mail Server because it contains
 what looks like a file attachment containing an executable.  Because we
 have users at this site that use Outlook, we cannot allow executables to
 be sent through email, otherwise we are at high risk for catching an
 Outlook virus.  If you get this message and you are trying to send this
 file legitimately, please zip it up or contact your recipient to setup
 an alternate method of transfering the files.  You shouldn't be emailing
 files around anyway. ;-)
  -The Indigita Automated Virus Checker"

--
Bill Gruber
City University of New York Computer Center

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: mail clients, was Please prune this list!