Subject: HTML e-mail (was: mail clients)
From: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 09:14:06 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> writes:

> This is another case where the fight is over, and we might as well get
> used to it. Whether its good or bad, it's here and endemic.

Yes, and it's used almost entirely for spam, which makes it very
convenient.

60-80% of the spam that I get is in HTML.  0.01% of the legitimate mail
that I get is in HTML, approximately.  I therefore apply simple
mathematics and make the obvious choice when doing mail filtering, and
I've yet to regret it.

I find the success of HTML extremely convenient; all of the sleeze have
adopted it wholesale, thus enabling me to easily ignore everything they
have to say.

(This is for messages with a content-type of text/html.  Usage of
multipart/alternative is much more ambiguous, but in those cases I just
ignore the text/html portion, since it's almost without exception
formatted *less* readibly than the text version regardless of what HTML
browser I use to view it.)

HTML is being widely used in e-mail, but by and large it's a joke.
Occasionally an amusing and useful one, though.

--
Russ Allbery (rra @
 stanford .