Subject: Re: On client defaults and list configurations
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 10:27:09 -0700
To: list-managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>
References: <Message from "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org> <3D25336D . 4080107 @ queernet . org> <Pine . GSO . 4 . 44 . 0207050354550 . 9765-100000 @ stjorn . ifi . uio . no> <22440 . 1025836984 @ kanga . nu> <3D250BF4 . 6020502 @ queernet . org> <24019 . 1025847869 @ kanga . nu> <3D25336D . 4080107 @ queernet . org> <5 . 0 . 0 . 25 . 2 . 20020705065434 . 0392cb60 @ pop3 . vo . cnchost . com>

On 09:58 AM 7/5/02, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
>JC Dill wrote:
>> 2)  While you complain about the effects using MS mail clients has on
>> your mailing lists, I can equally complain about what I firmly believe
>> is the antiquated and useless practice of setting up a DISCUSSION LIST
>> with Reply-To to the author, and not the list.  It leads to posts that
>> are sent to dozens of individuals.  Just as lazy MS mail client users
>> start typing their reply where their client drops the cursor (at the
>> top, resulting in top posting), lazy list users such as most people on
>> this list select "reply to all" and then don't bother adjusting the ever
>> increasing list of names that the reply goes to.  Both types of users
>> justify their actions by saying that since the software sets-up their
>> reply this way, it must be OK.  Well, I think it's pretty damn lazy to
>> send a reply to the list, and to every other address that happens to be
>> in the list headers, just because that's how the software most easily
>> lets you reply back to the discussion list.  And I really detest the
>> duplicate messages this causes ME to receive.  IMHO, this is worse than
>> top-posting, with top-posting at least I only get one message.
>
>It's the job of a decent MLM to deal with this.  Mj2 can; all others should.

Tthis list runs on mj2, so why is it that THIS list is the ONLY list where I have this problem?

This is a list run by supposedly sophisticated and experienced list management, on supposedly the latest up-to-date list management software, and with a subscriber list of supposedly email-savvy users. Yet the multiple emails (and bounces) continue unabated. There exists both the technical and social ability to "solve" this problem, yet neither tool has been properly implemented on this list.

Yet many here are self-proclaimed superior sophisticated email users who regularly complain about less sophisticated users who use Outlook, top-post, and/or send HTML formatted email.

Pot, Kettle, very very Black.

jc