Subject: Re: HTML e-mail (was: mail clients)
From: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 13:41:33 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 12:14 PM -0400 7/5/02, Russ Allbery is rumored to have typed:

> HTML is being widely used in e-mail, but by and large it's a joke.
> Occasionally an amusing and useful one, though.

   Has anyone looked at mail sent by the IncrediMail client? I had a guy send
a 17-word post to a previous message, quoting _nothing,_ and his message was
10k in size because of the overhead from this client. Another different user
used it to s*bscribe, and this time the message was 12k, and this included NO
BODY TEXT WHATSOEVER, just "s*bscribe" in the subject field.

   With the sender's permission (and with email addresses munged), I've
posted the thing at http://www.lofcom.com/news/messages/msg0062.phtml for
your edification and amusement.

   Suddenly Outlook Express doesn't seem to be so bandwidth-wasteful after
all...

         Charlie