Subject: Re: OE and MIME [Was: Please prune this list!]
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey @ goldmark . org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:43:09 -0700 (PDT)
To: Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald @ impressive . net>
Cc: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

[mailed and posted]

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Gerald Oskoboiny wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 10:22:57AM -0700, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

> > If I send an attachment with

> > OE will ingore the "text/plain" specification and go with the .xls
> > extension.

> Many/most versions of MS IE do this as well, in clear violation
> of the HTTP spec and desired behavior, cf.
>
>     Common User Agent Problems
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/cuap
>
>     3.2 Respect the media type of a resource if one is explicitly
>         given using the Content-Type HTTP header.

That document was a remarkably interesting read.  Again, I note that this
"feature" adds nothing to OE or IE user's experience.  But it does serve
to export the filenaming conventions from one system to all others.  That
is the only purpose I can see to this design element of OE and IE.

> Anyone know of something like CUAP for MUAs?

No.  I have written a couple of "net rants" about bad behavior

  http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/

some dealing with MUAs, but nothing as systematic as the document you
site.

> Anyone else interested in writing one (or maybe something more like the
> GNKSA?)

I would be happy to join a project that someone else lead on this.   But
if I am expected to take a lead role, then it will almost certainly not
happen.

> If so, do you know a good place to discuss it?

I don't.  list-managers isn't the appropriate place.  There may be such a
place, but I don't know about it.  I certainly would like to.  I guess
one of us could post to comp.mail.misc, but I don't read that.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/