Subject: Re: MUA elitism
From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 16:37:56 -0700
To: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

J C Lawrence wrote:
I read your post as stating that was the member's purpose as distinct
from the list' purpose.

No, sorry I was unclear -- it was the specific purpose of many of those lists to provide a "home base" for people who have XYZ in common, not to be topic-restricted to XYZ.

And at our site it has succeded more than 50% of the time.

Really?  You have taken purposive lists and forked them successfully as
above, or you have taken lists that decayed into salon lists nd found
that they can survive as salon lists?  The two are quite different.

We have taken topic-based lists and forked a salon to go with them, and found the main list's traffic reduced by 20-50% and the salon's traffic at anywhere from the difference to 2-3x the difference.