Subject: Re: MUA elitism
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 21:13:22 -0700
To: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Fri, 05 Jul 2002 16:37:56 -0700
Roger B A Klorese <Roger> wrote:
> J C Lawrence wrote:

> We have taken topic-based lists and forked a salon to go with them,
> and found the main list's traffic reduced by 20-50% and the salon's
> traffic at anywhere from the difference to 2-3x the difference.

Simply, I'm amazed.  I've never seen this work in the 40 or so attempts
I've witnessed.  I wonder if the critical difference is that I've
primarily followed technically oriented lists (math, science, compsci,
literary analysis, game design, aquaculture, etc) rather than the softer
more humanistic lists such as the support lists you've often referenced.

--
J C Lawrence
claw @