Subject: Re: Please prune this list!
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 00:32:09 -0700
To: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>, list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

>>> It's the job of a decent MLM to deal with this.  Mj2 can; all others should.

Mailman 2.1 will, as a user option. Ditto reply-to coercion and subject line
flagging. Users will be able to customize it all to their preferences, so
admins can avoid all these religious fights and set it the way they prefer,
knowing those that disagree can change their prefs, not force global pref
changes.

Which, I think, is the best way to handle this stuff.

For what it's worth, I've done some studies on this whole "two copy makes me
pissed" stuff. The % of users who are upset at that is quite small. Most
don't notice or generally don't care... On the general scale of things, it's
a non-issue, except that to that 1-2% that are sensitive to it, it drives
them crazy. But they need to realize it's like people who hate red walls in
restaurants. If you're one of them, it's a big issue -- but the rest of us
just don't Get It, and don't plan on being converted.

You know, one of these days, we ought to do a real kickass, formal study of
these preferences. Include a LOT of lists to get a diverse and statistically
valid audience, not just "my people" or "your people", and really try to
figure some of this out. It'd make a heck of a paper somewhere. And we could
get away from making decisions based on one person's experiences,
preferences or how loud and how often they whine...

> I sort all my mailing list emails into mailing list specific folders based
> on "any header contains the list name".

And FWIW, I want two copies. I want the personal reply in my main inbox, so
I know a thread I've contributed to has been continued so I can reply to it
while the thread is still timely -- and then later, I'll get around to
reading the list (filtered into a folder), and the second copy is a nice
reminder of the context and the thread, and helps me keep track of stuff,
because if I get to it hours (and dozens of emails later), I might be
tempted to re-reply to another post in the same thread and later realize
what an idiot I look like (again) for doing so. And sometimes, I'll decide a
thread can wait and delete the first class copy, knowing the lsit copy is
still in the folder wiating so I can choose whether to respond later when I
read the entire list set...

So different people see this quite differently... I definitely see those two
copies as a feature that helps me keep a thread fresh and moving forward
(key points, IMHO, of a conversation). Not a bug....

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui @

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam my clothes down here, will you?