Subject: Re: MUA elitism
From: Beartooth <karhunhammas @ Lserv . com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 08:53:49 -0400 (EDT)
To: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Cc: List Managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, J C Lawrence wrote:

> Possibly the most interesting aspect here is that the simple
> address of forking the list and splitting off a duplicate list
> (identical membership) with a charter explicitly targeted for a
> salon always fails. The new list dies for lack of traffic, lack
> of participation, and lack of interest.  The apparency is that
> there is something about the purposive aspect of the original
> list which effectively acted as a carrier to support and catalyse
> the salon activities.

	Marginalium from the peanut gallery: need the (original)
purpose have anything to do with it? Don't laziness and
forgetfulness suffice to explain the phenomenon? (JCL did call
salons an elder game! <grin>)

	The test of that, surely, would be what happens if the
forking is done the opposite way: the new list is the strict topic,
and the old one (which, I'm presuming, is the one to keep the name
& address) remains as a gatehouse -- a very comfortable, clubby
gatehouse, with the observation tower up atop the hill.

	Has anyone done it that way? What happens?
--
RR 'Beartooth' Neuswanger <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
double retiree, linux greenhorn w/RH 7.2