Subject: Header fields (Was: Re: Please prune this list!)
From: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 11:42:41 -0400
To: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

At 9:01 AM -0400 7/6/02, Bernie Cosell is rumored to have typed:

> I'm with Chuq on this one and I do the same thing.

   Me, too; and for basically the same reasons he articulated.

> I know there are some
> exception-lists floating around still

   mailman adds X-BeenThere:, SmartList adds X-Loop:, most lists add List-*:
header fields, etc., etc., etc. Good grief, it's simple enough to write a
regex that handles the mailing list server's machine name from the Received:
header fields.

   If someone can't find a unique header on which to filter _any_ specific
mailing list without catching personal replies not going through the mailing
list server, one simply isn't bothering to look.

         Charlie (who hates it when people tell him him how he is
                   _required_ to send email)