Subject: Re: Header fields (Was: Re: Please prune this list!)
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 10:08:21 -0700
To: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Cc: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 11:42:41 -0400
Charlie Summers <charlie @
 lofcom .
 com> wrote:

> If someone can't find a unique header on which to filter _any_
> specific mailing list without catching personal replies not going
> through the mailing list server, one simply isn't bothering to look.

While generally true, some list servers make it actively difficult.  For
instance the Gamsutra announcements, PIFR (People For Internet
Responsibility), and the SANS security announcements have _NO_ unique
headers for posts.  Happily all are announcement lists.  Other list
services, such as Topica, just make it difficult.  In Topica's case they
do insert a unique header, X-topica-loop:, its just opaque as the value
is a digit string which is unique to the list.  eg:

Not exactly human friendly.

One practice I'd like to see more of is lists publishing filtering
instructions for themselves.  Even better though would be MUAs that
_BY_DEFAULT_ create list-specific folders and filter mail into them
whenever they see List-ID:, X-Mailing-List:, etc headers.

--
J C Lawrence
claw @