Subject: Re: Header fields (Was: Re: Please prune this list!)
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 13:34:51 -0700
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>, list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Sat, 06 Jul 2002 09:55:03 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> wrote:

> I don't hate it. I can't keep track of all of the people I talk to and
> their preferences, though, so I don't try. And sometimes, just for
> fun, when someone does that to me, I respond by saying "okay, but when
> you mail me, I need it in HTML format, Helvetica font, 24 points, and
> the color red. Since you have told me how you want mail from me, I
> thought I'd let you know what I want, too".

Its the other side of the old rule: Be generous in what you accept and
conservative in what you emit.

> Usually, it just pisses them off, since it seems there's a double
> standard here (you can't tell me. I can tell you). But some of the
> time, it gets the point across.

But but but but I like it! It must be the best!  I like it!  It fits the
way I do email and everybody knows that is the absolute best way and so
you should do that too and if you don't you're an obvious idiot that you
can't see the blatant superiority of MY WAY!  Moron!

<ahem>

Sorry.  Some buffer overflowed from too much input and dumped some old
inputs.

> Chuq (these days, "freedom of speech" seems to mean "I can tell you to
> shut up" to many people)

<insert homily about free speech belonging to those who own printing
presses>

Damn, moderation is an odd job.  Sometimes I think tattooing a KICK ME
sign on my arse would be easier and far far simpler..

--
J C Lawrence
claw @