Subject: Re: identifying list mail by any appearance in the headers
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 15:39:16 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

When I mentioned,

| >> the common practice of adding "[off-list from
| >> <listname>]" to the subject ...

JC Dill replied,

| > Common?  I've *never* had email identified in that manner.

and J C Lawrence responded,

| I suspect its a subculture.

Besides putting it into the body instead of the subject, I tend not to do it
at all in responses to posts on list-managers or the Procmail List, since I
expect the recipient to be able to recognize that it's a private reply with-
out needing hints or help (despite the time I failed at that recognition my-
self a few years ago).  I do it on replies to posts on non-technical lists,
where the recipient might likely do no filtering at all and receive every-
thing in one inbox.