Subject: Re: identifying list mail by any appearance in the headers
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 13:54:42 -0700
To: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com (list-managers)

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 15:30:18 -0500 (CDT)
David W Tamkin <dattier @
 ripco .
 com> wrote:

> I don't have, want, nor need a domain of my own, at least not the way
> my life and the net are in 2002 [both may change over the next few
> years]; but I have subdomains from three providers where I can create
> addresses with any syntac- tically permitted local part I choose, but
> if I ever were to set up different addresses for every list I'm on,
> for sure I would not use the list's name, nor any string including the
> exact list name, as my address on the list.  Ab- breviate the list's
> name, pun it, encipher it, reverse it (unless it's a pal- indrome),
> but don't copy it.  Don't lay traps for people.  And that's besides
> the inherent arrogance of using the list's name for yourself as if you
> were the list and your posts were official announcements about it.}

Fairly obviously I have an run my own 2LD, and besides noting that I've
found it valuable, I'll leave that there.

Plus addressing is becoming almost common.  A decent and steadily rising
percentage of my subscribers (I'd guess currently about 8%) are using
plus addressing for their subscriptions to my lists, usually of the
form:

  bubba-<listname>@some_domain

eg for this list it might be:

  claw-list-managers @
 kanga .
 nu

Which isn't quite coopting the list name ala say my subscribing to this
list as:

  list-managers @
 kanga .
 nu

I rate unique plus addressing for list subscriptions as a highly
recommendable practice that can be very effective in controlling SPAM
and is one that adapts to current list servers well.  The use of dated
hashes in subscription addresses (such as used by TMDA) unfortunately
doesn't adapt to current list servers as well, but we can cross that
hurdle later.

  Ahh, another thing it would be nice if ISPs and commonly used MUAs
  handled transparently/easily.

--
J C Lawrence
claw @