Subject: Re: MUA elitism
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 23:55:20 -0700
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Fri, 05 Jul 2002 23:57:04 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> wrote:

> I'm actually starting to try to figure out what "mailing lists" might
> be in an IM environment, assuming a population of non-email types who
> want to do this "stuff" via their IM clients. Just in case I'm right.

Yeah, frankly it rather scares the crap out of me.  I'm dinosaur enough
that the losses in facility of that format seem to hugely outweigh the
benefits.  That said there are already tools aiming themselves at that
market like Groove.

> But it's like that text/HTML thing. Russ might see 99.9% of his HTML
> mail as spam -- but that's not typical of the whole world, just the
> group Russ interacts with. And with my peer group, it's fairly true as
> well. But when I deal with the larger e-mail audience, it sure
> ain't. If you go riding with a group of Harley owners, chances are,
> most of them will ride Harleys. But don't tell the gold-wing owners
> that the only bikes to use are Harleys....

But all printers really are postscript devices!  If it ain't postscript
it ain't a printer.  Really!

<ahem>

--
J C Lawrence