Subject: Re: Please prune this list!
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 18:05:09 -0400
To: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

At 12:15 AM 2002-07-07 -0700, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
Nick Simicich wrote:
I assert that you have given up no functionality that is actually meaningful in the context of communicating using e-mail. Please note that I consider the ability to set your fonts, sizes, etc, detrimental to this process --- I have a font that is easy for me to read and colors that are easy for me to read. Any changes to this slow me down and distract from the message.

I consider tightly integrated email and calendaring to be something not doable in a standards-based environment and not to be given up.

And whose "non-standard's based calendar wins?" Alternatively, "When do you want to meet?" in a plain text message works everywhere.

If you are scheduling meeting rooms, then you can assume assent if no one else is meeting.

If you are scheduling people, you need buy-in....unless they work for you and you can order them to go. So automated scheduling simply does not work across organizations.

I consider all of the things you consider detrimental to sometimes be beneficial -- such as when delivering a presentation via email.

I can never see a situation where it would be appropriate to deliver a presentation by e-mail that a URL to a web site would not be superior. Especially not in the mailing list context.

Awww.....my heart bleeds for you. I put forth the assertion that the "functionality" you give up is mostly meaningless complexity and has nothing to do with the sort of communication that the real world systems we administer (e-mail lists) are designed for.

I totally disagree. Again: if a list also meets off-list or by chat, integrated scheduling would be a boon. For that matter, delivering a usable Java or ActiveX chat thin-client in a message body would be as well.

Suicidal. Microsoft has even turned off active X and Java by e-mail by default. Again, I can see absolutely zero advantage to delivering such tripe in e-mail --- sending a URL would be superior in all cases I can imagine.

--
"Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature!"
 -- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)