Subject: Re: Filtering lists from header fields
From: Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 07:50:23 -0400
To: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

--On Saturday, July 06, 2002 9:13 AM -0700 JC Dill <inet-list @
vo .
cnchost .
com> wrote:
On 06:01 AM 7/6/02, Bernie Cosell wrote:
 >For example, for this list, my filter sorts on:
 >
 >Sender: list-managers-owner @
greatcircle .
com

That's a great idea in principle, but how many ordinary users have both
the knowledge and the ability to filter on fields like Sender?

That's a tricky question, because if you first ask "how many ordinary users have the knowledge and ability to filter AT ALL" or to do any kind of auto-foldering, the number is pretty small. Most fancy MUA's now have "Rules" or "Filters" engines of some kind, but understanding and wrangling them can be a Byzantine exercise.

One possible bright spot is that with Mozilla Mail, it ought to be possible (in theory - I haven't messed with it myself) to offer a self-contained "installable filter setting" that you could put on a companion webpage and let members click on. We could also agree on an XML standard for describing how to filter a list, put a Web-based generator for that XML online somewhere, and then let list admins visit it, enter their list info and grab the resulting XML, and/or let the results be stored at the generator site, so that members could visit the site, pick the list(s) they're on, pick the MUA they use, and generate a page of instructions or a config file that would set up filtering for them. Just some thoughts.