Subject: Private lists (was Re: Please prune this list!)
From: Beartooth <karhunhammas @ Lserv . com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:08:24 -0400 (EDT)
To: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Cc: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>, list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, J C Lawrence wrote:

> As public list operators we don't see this very often, but then
> not all lists are public (eg I've run crypted lists for
> confidential projects between multiple companies).

	Forbes magazine had an article at least a year or two ago
to the effect that it was getting very common for groups of people
to get together *off* usenet (after having met there) and create
private lists. By the time I saw the article, I was already on a
couple myself, and I'm no nerd at all -- so the numbers must be
*quite* large already. And the Baby Boomers in their scads and
myriads have followed me all the days of my life, generally at a
two- to five-year remove ....

	Examples: support groups and jokeswap lists. (I think those
tend to be two different kinds of examples; jokeswap lists
interconnect in subterranean ways that support groups I've had any
experience with don't.)

	Which raises another question, one the rest of you can
formulate a lot better than I can. The very existence of
yahoogroups (and what's-its-name that yahoo engulfed) shows there's
a sizeable niche out there. But there *have* to be better
alternatives than yahoo ....

	But yahoo is a subordinate question. The main one is simply
-- and yes, I'm deliberately setting up a new thread (while, I
hope, I have the chance) -- what needs saying about private lists?

--
RR 'Beartooth' Neuswanger <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
double retiree & linux greenhorn w/RH 7.2