Subject: Re: Please prune this list!
From: Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 00:59:54 -0400
To: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

This is semantic silliness. The outfits that make Netscape, Mozilla et al are ultra-quick to tell you that they are marketing not just a browser, but "Communications Suites" or equivalent verbiage. Communications Suites turn out to mean a browser bundled with mail reader, news reader, and some other stuff. It is only our half-smart savvy-blinkers that conflates the two and calls the whole suite a "browser."

--On Monday, July 08, 2002 11:27 PM -0400 Nick Simicich <njs @
scifi .
squawk .
com> wrote:

At 12:06 PM 2002-07-08 -0800, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
> What does this have to do with anything?  I can't imagine using a
browser
> for mail, sorry.

Who said anything about a browser?  Netscape has a mail and news
client as well, which is not the browser.

But I am a dumb user. I installed a browser --- where did that mail
and news client come from?  What is the difference?  I think it is
all the web, you know?  I mean, I want it to all be the web, why
should I have to learn the difference?  And I'm right because I'm the
user.