From: Beartooth <karhunhammas @ Lserv . com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:08:50 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw @ python . org>
Cc: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>, <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> This is a critical point about digests, IMO.  A digest is a way
> to amortize the interruption factor of email.  While email is
> great, it's also disruptive in the way a phone call at the office
> is disruptive. It tends (or does for me ;) to want to pull your
> attention to the email immediately, pre-empting all other work.
> This happens for me because until I look at some part of the
> email, I don't know whether it's my boss asking me a question, or
> a fellow bass player asking whether it's useful to boil strings.
> :)
	YES, in thunder! And not only in the office!

> So, because most digests only get delivered once or a few times a
> day, I cut down on the number of interruptions to my daily
> workflow.
>
> But -- and this is crucial -- when I burst a digest I want it to
> contain all the information necessary to ignore the fact that it
> came to me in a digest.  I.e. I want to be able to reply to it,
> folder it, search on it, etc. just as if it were an immediate
> delivery.

	Speaking very hesitantly and apologetically -- might could
it be that there were hope of something like listserv's Index
option on smaller listservers? I dunno straight up about bursting a
digest -- what that is, whether I have even the capability, how to
use it if so, etc., etc. -- but I can and do use the Index option
on very busy list, without knowing about bursts.
--
RR 'Beartooth' Neuswanger <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
double retiree, linux greenhorn running pine 4.43 on ISP's SunOS 5.8;

From: bwarsaw @ python . org (Barry A. Warsaw)
Next: Re: Surveying list users.
From: bwarsaw @ python . org (Barry A. Warsaw)
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: The role of the mailing list
From: bwarsaw @ python . org (Barry A. Warsaw)
Next: Re: The role of the mailing list
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>