Subject: Re: Surveying list users.
From: Beartooth <karhunhammas @ Lserv . com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:19:06 -0400 (EDT)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: "Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw @ python . org>, list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> On 7/12/02 8:04 AM, "Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw @
 python .
 org> wrote:

> > You probably don't need to know exactly which lists they're on, but
> > some more anonymous metrics like: number of lists you're on, do they
> > tend towards the technical or the social/recreational, etc.

> ... (snip) I expect there'll be a strong difference between folks
> on tech-lists and folks on non-tech lists, for instance, but
> without list information, it'll be hard to find that cleanly.

	There is a between-grade: on Autocat, for instance, the
topic is computer-cataloging of libraries. The subscribers all but
revel in *cataloging* technicalia, and range all over the lot in
point of *Net* and *computer* technicalia -- but, since it's
work-related, most have great expertise on tap for the latter (or,
in some cases, do have it themselves).

	So you might get something interesting, if you can fit it
in, out of a distinction between work-related and non-work-related
lists -- even apart from whether the subscriptions go to home or to
work.
--
RR 'Beartooth' Neuswanger <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
double retiree, linux greenhorn running pine 4.43 on ISP's SunOS 5.8;