Subject: Re: Surveying list users.
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:20:43 -0700
To: Barry Warsaw <bwarsaw @ python . org>
Cc: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 7/12/02 10:01 AM, "Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw @
 python .
 org> wrote:

> I suspect you're right.  I was just suggesting to let the respondants
> decide where on the tech/social line their lists fell.  They /may/ be
> more inclined to answer that then tell you they're on 12 farmpr0n
> lists. ;)

The privacy setup makes it easier for them to be honest -- but I don't kid
myself that they'll necessarily be completely honest. Self-defining is
easier but more nebulous, and for a lot of us, we cross over into both, so
how do we deal with that? What I'm hoping to do is find, say, the top 20
most popular lists in the survey, and see how the preferences change from
list ot list, and see if something useful comes out of it.

We may find, for instance, that reply-to preference depends mostly on which
style of list you first subscribed to. If you grew up with reply-to
coercion, then that's how you want it.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui @

Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties
are largely ceremonial.