Subject: Re: Surveying list users.
From: Beartooth <karhunhammas @ Lserv . com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:44:15 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw @ python . org>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> I'm not exactly sure what listserv's index option is but on my
> todo list has been a digest where you don't get the message
> bodies, but the TOC contains urls to the archived messages.

	It works almost like that, but without the web -- being
older, I think. You get a list containing author, subject, etc.,
like this:
090253 07/11 14 From:  Winship <winship @
 ccsi .
 com>
                  Subject: Libraries as bookstores

090254 07/11    6 From:    Winship <winship @
 ccsi .
 com>
                  Subject: Re: Libraries as bookstores

090255 07/11   37 From:    Julie Moore Iliff
<julie @
 mylibrarian .
 com>
                  Subject: Cataloger skills, or, XML & PHP & PERL,
Oh my!

090256 07/11   59 From:    Bernhard Eversberg
<ev @
 buch .
 biblio .
 etc .
 tu-bs .
 de>
                  Subject: Re: MARC and XML
	You then reply to the server, with that text edited down to
the ones you want; I *think* just the list of magic numbers in the
left column will do it -- but I keep my replies a while, and *I*
want to see what i was requesting.

	The server makes up a bundle of the things you requested,
and sends it to you as one big edited-digest-like email, like this:
Date:         Thu, 11 Jul 2002 01:20:52 -0500
Sender:       AUTOCAT <AUTOCAT @
 LISTSERV .
 ACSU .