From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:14:38 -0700
To: Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:56:36 -0400
Tom Neff <tneff @
 grassyhill .
 net> wrote:

> That's not what I want -- I want a daily Digest to be a readable
> omnibus of the discussion that went on in the list that day, with
> redundant header cruft removed to save on transmission, storage and
> confusion.  My motto is "1153 Got It Right" :)

A couple points:

  1) 1153 doesn't specify header trimming.

  2) What you are actually asking for is a function of how your MUA
  presents and displays digests to you, not of how the digests are
  internally structured.

Given that 1153 digests don't mandate header trimming, and that there
are good reasons not to header trim (such as the bursting et al that
Barry referenced) MIME digests would seem the most attractive to you. A
good MUA will display them inline with minimal collapsed headers, much
like Mailman v1's not-quite-1153 digests, and will easily allow
individual reply to component messages from that digest.

> The one thing I wish my mail client gave me - if I do a web based one
> of my own some day I will hack this in - is the ability to roll along
> reading that honest text digest, and reply to the list OR an
> individual poster (a couple of buttons in the subheader would do it)
> without breaking stride.

Yup.  Several MUAs do that.

--
J C Lawrence