Subject: Re: Surveying list users.
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:39:49 -0700
To: KHLsv <karhunhammas @ Lserv . com>
Cc: "Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw @ python . org>, Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:44:15 -0400 (EDT)
karhunhammas  <Beartooth> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> It is, however, a great aid for those high-bandwidth lists that you
> very seldom post to and want badly to read a small fraction of.

> And of course the other old regulars, knowing you're on index option,
> send you direct carbons of replies to your posts, and replying to
> those immediately becomes much easier. (Autocat is a list I was
> regular on for years before i retired.)

Urk.  I'm on similar high volume lists and instead use keyword and
pattern matching to extract and externally present those bits I think I
might be interested in (those messages get copied to a second
<listname>-interesting folder).  That way there's no fetch delay time
for the specific messages I tag and I can easily read the whole list or
backtrack a thread should I wish to.

Simpler, faster, more featured.  Good stuff.

Quite simply the fetchable index approach seems an unmitigated pain with
no gain or benefit _UNLESS_ your mail system is so poorly featured that
you effectively have no (or extremely poor) filtering tools (which
pretty well defines all mass market MUAs).

<Notes to self: data point for Chuq's survey>

--
J C Lawrence
claw @