From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:23:26 -0700
To: tneff @ grassyhill . org
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:10:22 -0400
Tom Neff <tneff @
 grassyhill .
 net> wrote:
> --On Friday, July 12, 2002 3:14 PM -0700 J C Lawrence <claw @
 kanga .
 nu>
> wrote:

>> Given that 1153 digests don't mandate header trimming... [etc]

> From http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1153.html :

> 	Each enclosed message is a conventional message consisting of a
> header and body, separated by a blank line.  If they exist in the
> original message header, the following lines must be retained as-is in
> the reconstructed header: Date:, From:, To:, Cc:, Subject:,
> Message-ID:, and Keywords:, rearranged to appear in that
> order. Retaining the Summary: line is optional.  Lines include
> continuation lines as defined in the RFCs.  All other header lines
> should be discarded, especially Received lines.  All leading and
> trailing blank lines should be removed from the message body.  The
> message body may be scanned to replace with a blank the first
> character of any lines of exactly and only 30 hyphens.

> "1153 Got It Right"(tm)

Without being excessively pedantic, in standards language there is a
huge gap between "should" (as in the above quote) and "must" (as in
"mandated").  "Should" items are not required, though they are
recommended.  Conforming systems do not have to abide by a "should"
statement in a standard.

>>> The one thing I wish my mail client gave me - if I do a web based
>>> one of my own some day I will hack this in - is the ability to roll
>>> along reading that honest text digest, and reply to the list OR an
>>> individual poster (a couple of buttons in the subheader would do it)
>>> without breaking stride.

>> Yup.  Several MUAs do that.

> Great!  What's an example of one?

Without checking I recall that both GNUs and VM do, and that MH-E either
does or can be trivially made to (since my previous post I've checked
further into exmh and it doesn't but can be made to with a little
effort).

That said, bursting is the generically more correct approach in terms of
intent and use of digests.  The fact that it also makes annotation of
the component messages transparent with annotation of all other messages
is merely a pleasant fillip.

--
J C Lawrence
claw @