From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:36:58 -0700
To: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>, <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 7/12/02 8:01 PM, "Nick Simicich" <njs @
 scifi .
 squawk .
 com> wrote:

> Which is why I think that the sympa people made the wrong decision in
> supporting only mime format digests, and why the Mj2/Mailman/other people
> who made the decision to support multiple digest formats made the right
> decision.

Agreed. Lots of people don't understand MIME digests, and a lot of software
(Microsoft's exchange client being one) does stupid things with them, like
turning the messages into a set of "N" attachments that can't be read as
e-mail any more...

> The problem is that at least some MLM writers are acting as if there were
> only one possible digest format --- and to some extent, I think that they
> should have called a "collection of mime message/rfc822 messages" a
> "collection" rather than a digest.

A good thought, and I agree, although it's too late now...

> characters that are not in US-Ascii, I really do not care about these
> things.  (That's right, I'm selfish and provincial).

Be glad you have that option.... On the other hand, as time goes on, it'll
make your world smaller and more insular, too. You'll need to hope the
person who has the info you need someday isn't on the wrong side of that
wall...

> (If people remember, I'd prefer that they edited my name out of the headers
> when replying.)

And I want all messages sent to me in HTML, helvetica font, at least 18
point, and colored red. Thank you for understanding and being tolerant of my
preferences.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui @

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam my clothes down here, will you?