From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:38:15 -0700
To: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Nick Simicich wrote:
The problem is that at least some MLM writers are acting as if there were only one possible digest format --- and to some extent, I think that they should have called a "collection of mime message/rfc822 messages" a "collection" rather than a digest. I suspect that most people think of an RFC1153 format digest when they think of a digest, and they think of something else when they get a mime format digest.

Funny -- I think most people think of an EDITED-DOWN collection when they think "digest" -- you know, that it's ben pre-digested for them. (Think digest -- think "Reader's Digest.") Most people who are not mailing-list savvy ask why it is they're receiving all of those messages if they subscribe to a digest, and why it doesn't sem edited and selected for them.

It's a bad use of an English word for an almost-contradictory geekish meaning.