Subject: pix on lists : bandwidth?
From: Beartooth <karhunhammas @ Lserv . com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 11:22:57 -0400 (EDT)
To: List Managers <List-Managers @ greatcircle . com>

	I've always excluded pix from the lists I run manually; I
just don't forward them. There are twenty-odd subscribers, of whom
half a dozen sometimes send me pix.

	I'm thinking, even if my ISP doesn't mind my running a
server (or doesn't charge too much for letting me), I don't want to
have to raise my bandwidth quota (again!) to accommodate it.

	Are there any rules of thumb from people's experience as to
how much more bandwidth a list carrying pix eats, as compared to
one that excludes them? (Assume only pix as occasional
illustrations -- I won't touch swapping nor discussing pix! Not
even if they wer all devoted to a topic, I wouldn't.)

--
RR 'Beartooth' Neuswanger <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
double retiree, linux greenhorn running pine 4.43 on ISP's SunOS 5.8;

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: OT? browsers or other viewers (was Re: The role of the mailing list)