Subject: Re: Surveying list users.
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 09:45:28 -0700
To: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>, list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 7/12/02 10:15 PM, "Nick Simicich" <njs @
 scifi .
 squawk .
 com> wrote:

> or at least I have not
> heard of anyone who has written a character recognition thing to automate
> the form fillout for the voting.

But I have, actually.

> If someone wants to vote manually a couple hundred times I do not care,

But I do.

> I would think that if you simply recorded ip
> addresses (or even an MD5 of each octet) that would settle automated voting
> down.

And screw over most users from AOL, and any other place that has a
significant number of addresses sharing a small IP range through timesharing
or firewalls and proxies. It doesn't work in the general case.

> I hope you will publish the actual
> raw data and not just the summaries, so long as there is no reversible
> stuff that can be traced to any individuals.

I want to. Effectively, I want this to be an open source survey, including
tools and data, so people can do their own analysis as well.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui @

IMHO: Jargon. Acronym for In My Humble Opinion. Used to flag as an opinion
something that is clearly from context an opinion to everyone except the
mentally dense. Opinions flagged by IMHO are actually rarely humble. IMHO.
    (source: third unabridged dictionary of chuqui-isms).