From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 14:03:40 -0700
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 13:35:54 -0700
J C Lawrence <claw @
 kanga .
 nu> wrote:

> They're social systems in exactly the same way that social groups that
> go lunch together form at work places.

And the other bit which is interesting here is how those social and
cultural definitions define the population of the lists both in terms of
base membership and in terms of those who post and those who lurk (or
cease lurking) within the base membership.

There are people I'd love to have on my lists, but who have directly
refused to join variously because of the manner in which I run the list,
or the extant list culture.  Similarly there are people who have
explicitly stated that they don't and won't post for the same reasons --
but they're willing to silently lurk.

Social groups, they're enough to make you tear your hair out.

--
J C Lawrence
claw @